Some city dog owners wish they could have a huge yard for their canine companions to roam around freely. But dog owners in the suburbs with a large backyard would tell you that they worry about their dogs’ safety.
If you prefer not to have a physical fence, it is a good idea to train your furry friends to stay within the backyard. Escaping the backyard will expose them to dangerous situations. It’s very natural for dogs to run, play, jump, and have fun in an open yard. This is why many dog owners install invisible dog fences around their yards.
We understand how frustrating and confusing it is to browse through hundreds of dog fences out there on the market. That is why we researched the dog fences for you – from invisible fences, wireless dog fences, electric fences to in-ground fences. We examined perimeter fences that create an area of effect and dog fences that require a wire to be buried in-ground.
We’ll explain each one and take into consideration both positive and negative reviews. These recommendations will hopefully alleviate your worry about your dogs’ safety.
Join us as we present some simple solutions to your escape loving canines.
Based on our research, the PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System came out on top and is our best overall pick. The wireless dog fence system with waterproof wireless dog collars will securely keep your canine companions safe and contained in your backyard.
THE 5 TOP-RATED WIRELESS DOG FENCES FOR 2020
|Best Overall – Top Pick||PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System||4.4|
|Runner Up||SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence||4.4|
|Best Budget||PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence Without Wire||4.3|
|Best Perimeter Fence||PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence||4.2|
|Best Hybrid Dog Fence||GROOVYPETS Underground Fence for Dogs||4.0|
Our Top Pick: PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System
If your canine companions like to freely roam around out in the yard, the PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System will bring you peace of mind. For up to 1/2 acres of circular coverage, the PetSafe wireless dog fence provides a strong signal compared to other wireless dog fences on the market.
Because it is wireless, there’s no need to bury any wire. If your furry friends accidentally cross or leave the boundary, there is a correctional shock. When they return back into the area of containment, the above-ground invisible fence includes static-free re-entry so your dogs won’t be corrected or shocked.
If you like to travel, you’ll be glad to hear that this system is portable. This means you can easily bring it with you when camping in the woods or staying at a vacation house. Simply set up the system within hours and you will have a containment system in no time wherever you are.
Make sure to place your indoor transmitter on the level that you want coverage. We recommend placing it near a power outlet and three feet away from large metal objects. This ensures that you’ll have a strong signal and control.
The adjustable and wireless fence collar has a long battery life. It fits comfortably on your dogs’ neck. The collar is compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters.
You can also personalize the wireless dog collar settings. Take the time to train your puppy to stay within the secure play area with a sound-only training mode. There are five levels of static on the receiver collar. If you have more than one dog, simply add as many wireless dog collars to the system.
If you don’t have a physical fence or don’t have the time to install one, no worries. With the PetSafe wireless dog fence, you’re in full control of your canine companions and no longer need to worry about them escaping anymore.
PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System Key Features:
- 4 different styles: Wireless Fence, Extra Transmitter, Receiver Collar Only, or Wireless Fence with Extra Battery Pack
- Set up in just a few hours
- Waterproof collar for dogs 5 pounds and up
- The adjustable waterproof collar fits neck sizes 6 to 28 inches
- Collar includes a long-lasting battery life of up to 2 months
- Battery indicator will alert you to replace it
- Ability to personalize your dog’s collar settings
- 1/2 acre of circular coverage
- Static-free re-entry when returning back if your dog passes the boundary
- Unlimited number of wireless collars can be added to the fence system
- One year warranty
What customers are saying:
- Many owners loved that the PetSafe wireless dog fence does a great job of keeping their dogs contained in the yard.
- Within days, their dogs were able to learn the wireless dog fence system with little training.
- One of the features of the PetSafe wireless dog fence is that dogs will get corrected or shocked when they leave the boundary.
- While they approach the edge of the yard, there is an audible beep and a light painless shock that corrects their behavior.
- Through this, dogs learn very quickly not to leave the boundary again.
- A lot of dog owners said the above-ground electric dog fence has been a lifesaver for their family.
- They added that the PetSafe wireless dog fence is great for their wild, stubborn, and energetic dogs.
- Some owners advised that you read the training/instruction guide first before setting up the wireless dog fence to effectively train your dogs.
- A few owners forgot to take the PetSafe wireless collar off and it began to beep. Luckily, they were able to remove it before their dogs receive the light painless shock.
- Some customers advised taking the time to train your dogs to use the wireless fence. Dogs that aren’t trained correctly will be confused and the wireless fence won’t work as effectively as it should.
Our Runner Up Pick: SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence
You’ll be able to customize the safe zone within your yard through both wired and wireless technology with the SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence.
The hybrid fence system, SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence is our runner-up pick because it combines both wired and wireless technology. If you do not like the traditional physical fence, you should consider the SportDOG in-ground fence.
To install, simply bury the wire around the perimeter of your yard. The highly expandable and customizable dog containment system includes 1,000 feet of wire which contain up to 1.3 acres. Although you have to bury the invisible fence wire, you’ll enjoy the flexibility of customization. With additional wire and flag kits, you can shape your shock collar fence for up to 100 acres in area. Once the wires are buried, you can plug in the transmitter.
You’ll enjoy the wire-break alarm, built-in lightning protection, and anti-linger feature of this invisible dog fence. The wireless dog fence collar is adjustable with 4 levels of static stimulation to match your dogs’ temperament. You can also adjust the vibration and tone options as well.
There are also other solutions available. The SportDOG invisible dog fence also includes a containment and remote training system that is sold separately. The containment and remote training system allows you to control the discouragement with your choice of tone, vibration, and shock. The training tools included in the containment and remote training system are controlled by a remote. It has seven levels of intensity for both shock and vibration modes.
Best of all, the hybrid fence system comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence Key Features:
- Can cover 1.3 acres of land for one dog
- Includes 1,000 feet of invisible fence wire, 100 flags, 1 transmitter, and 1 collar receiver
- Can be expanded to cover 100 acres
- Waterproof collar with a long-lasting replaceable battery of 6-12 months
- Invisible fence collar fits dogs 10 pounds and up
- Collar receiver gives off a tone (beep) / vibration (buzz) warning
- 4 static stimulation levels
- Allows an unlimited number of dogs with additional invisible fence collars
- Includes step-by-step training guide
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
SportDog Invisible Fence Reviews:
- Many owners are thankful for the SportDOG invisible dog fence because they had moved to a home on a fence-less acre property and worried about containing their pups.
- Some pet owners said training their dogs with the Sport DOG invisible fence was easier than they expected. They spent as little as 2 hours of training.
- Reviews said the Sport DOG underground fence for dogs is 100% effective.
- Pet owners still can’t believe how effective the SportDOG invisible fence is. Even when the neighbors’ cat distracts them, their pups remained in the yard.
- Some dog owners had first-hand experience with the shock collar. They were happy that it didn’t hurt. It is unpleasant to corrects their dog’s behavior.
- A lot of dog owners still rely on the Sport DOG electric fence to this day. They’ve had it for more than 3 years now.
- A few customers said the Sport DOG underground fence installation is a bit of work if you install it yourself.
- Although the installation was a bit tiring, it wasn’t all that bad and totally worth it in the end.
Our Best Budget Pick: PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence Without Wire
The PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence Without Wire provides your dogs with a safe place to run and relax in the yard without breaking the bank.
If you have stubborn or hearing-impaired dogs and worry that they will escape your yard or property, training just got easier with the PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence without Wire. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it offers you the flexibility to choose the best gauge for your yard, which is why the wire is not included.
Since this system requires a wire, PetSafe made it easier by offering the Standard (20 Gauge) or the Heavy Duty (16 Gauge). More information on the Standard and Heavy Duty Gauge in the key features below.
The system features run-through prevention so that if your furry friends try to escape and run through the boundary zone, the correction level will increase. There is also an automatic safety shut-off that will stop shock or correction after 30 seconds.
The PetSafe dog fence includes a battery-operated, waterproof, and adjustable collar. The Pet Safe dog collar provides tone and vibration warnings during use and training. This allows you to train all dogs, even if they are hearing-impaired.
If you have more than one dog, you can purchase additional Pet Safe dog collars. This way, all of your canine companions will be safely contained within the underground electric dog fence.
The PetSafe dog fence is also great if you’re moving into a property that already has the in-ground wire installed. All you have to do is upgrade the base system. Depending on the length of wire you’d prefer, you could also save a few dollars by purchasing a shorter wire.
PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence Without Wire Key Features:
- Designed for stubborn and hearing-impaired dogs
- Shock collar fence is perfect for training
- Pet Safe dog collar features 4 levels of static correction with tone and vibration mode
- Adjustable collar fits neck sizes 6-28 inches and great for pets 8 pounds and up
- Includes base transmitter, 50 training flags, training guide, 9-volt battery, test light tool, waterproof splice capsules, wire nuts, and interchangeable contact points
- Underground dog fence wire is sold separately so you can purchase the gauge that is best for your yard
What customers are saying:
- Many dog owners loved this product because they found the range of shock adjustments to be very useful and necessary.
- Some owners noticed their dogs did not leave the yard even with many distractions.
- When dogs run near the boundary, the PetSafe dog fence would stop them dead in their track. It’s like magic.
- A few owners have as large as ten acres and they were able to run the dog fence wire around without experiencing any issues.
- Many owners are DIY people. They recommend the PetSafe dog fence because it is simple to install and the transmitter is simple to use.
- Note that this is a PetSafe dog fence that requires an in-ground invisible fence wire, but it is not included with the kit. If you need the wire, it is sold separately.
Best Perimeter Fence Pick: PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
The PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence is a rechargeable system that will create a safe area surrounding the transmitter so your dogs can relax and play to their hearts’ content.
If you have a smaller yard and are looking for a wireless system, then the PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence is the solution for you. The PetSafe wireless dog fence is a rechargeable system that provides protection for a circular area of up to 3/4 acres.
It only takes an hour to install and comes with a waterproof Pet Safe dog collar that has five adjustable levels of correction. The invisible fence collar batteries are rechargeable. It only takes 2-3 hours to be fully charged. In just a few weeks, your canine companions will learn to stay within the boundaries you set. You will have peace of mind that they are safe.
PetSafe wireless dog fence also has a 3-Dog system option if you have more than one dog.
Best of all, the portable electric dog fence allows you to take the transmitter anywhere with you, whether to your summer house or camp area.
PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence Key Features:
- Wireless pet containment coverage of up to 105 feet
- Portable wireless dog fence system can be set up in 1-2 hours
- Trains dogs to stay within the set boundaries
- Waterproof, rechargeable battery collars with custom setting and protection up to 3/4 of an acre
- Pet Safe dog collar is best for dogs 5 pounds and up with neck sizes 6-23 inches
- 5 adjustable levels of correction
- No in-ground wires needed
- A tiny and portable system that just needs an outlet
- Wireless pet containment can be expanded with additional wireless transmitters
PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence Reviews:
- Many owners said the PetSafe wireless dog fence is reliable and works like a charm. The training was easier than they had expected.
- Some dogs only took a few days to be trained. After 2 – 3 breaches, their dogs learned not to cross the boundary.
- Owners have peace of mind when their dogs head out to potty. They know their dogs won’t escape after they do their business.
- PetSafe wireless dog fence is easy and quick to set up.
- With the PetSafe wireless dog fence, dogs get to play outside and roam freely without being tied up.
- A few customers advised that the Pet Safe dog collar needs to be fitted properly. If it isn’t fitted properly, the training and learning won’t work.
Best Hybrid Dog Fence Pick: GROOVYPETS Underground Fence for Dogs
The GROOVYPETS Remote Training Dog Collar & Inground Electronic Containment Fence System is great if you have 3 or more dogs and are looking to keep them safe within the boundary you set.
If you have 3 or more dogs and are looking for ways to keep your canine companions safe within the boundary you set, the GROOVYPETS Underground Fence for Dogs helps you do that and more.
There are three correction modes that will discourage your dogs from escaping your yard, including a warning tone, 10 levels of vibration, and 10 levels of static stimulation.
With a fully waterproof collar, it can be used no matter what the weather. If it gets wet in the rain, that’s ok. The in-ground containment fence system covers up to 1/3 acre. It has a remote transmitter with a range of up to 1,000 meters and includes a large LCD screen.
GROOVYPETS Underground Fence for Dogs Key Features:
- 1100 yards or 1000 meter of remote range
- Trains up to 3 dogs from 1 transmitter
- Transmitter is rechargeable and waterproof
- Waterproof collar is great for outdoor sports, camping, and field trip
- Rechargeable collar lasts up to 5 days; compatible with remote controller and fence base transmitter
- Dog shock collar trains and corrects bad behaviors
- Contains as many dogs as you want by adding as many collars as you like
- Package kit comes with a remote dog training collar and in-ground dog wire containment system
- 3 correction modes: warning tone, vibration, and static stimulation
- Package contains the following:
- 1 camouflage remote
- 1 base transmitter/controller
- 1 rechargeable collar receiver with camouflage TPU collar strap
- Short and long prong sets
- 1 test bulb
- (1) 20-gauge boundary wire of 500 feet or 150 meters and covers up to 1/3 acre
- 50 training flags
- 1 charger power plug (output 5V DC 1A)
- 1 power supply plug (output 18V DC,0.5A)
- 1 user manual
GROOVYPETS Invisible Dog Fence Reviews:
- Many owners are happy with this product. They said the remote works great and they are able to customize the amount of coverage they need with the in-ground wire.
- Owners noticed that this containment system really gets their dog’s attention. After an initial shock, it only takes the tone (beep) to warn their dog not to cross the boundary.
- A few owners said the only issue they had was the depth that they had to bury the wire.
Who Should Buy a Wireless Dog Fence
You should buy a wireless dog fence if you are in one of these three situations.
First, if you have a huge yard of almost an acre of space or more for your dogs to roam around, but you want to contain your dogs within the safety of this space. Installing regular physical fences could be costly since the cost could be per foot. The wireless fences are more cost-efficient.
Second, if you live or moved into a neighborhood that is fence-less or has strict fence laws that restrict you from putting up physical fences. The fence laws may even limit you to the type of fence you can and cannot install at your home. Since the invisible wireless fence does not change the neighborhood’s aesthetics, it’s rarely included in the limitations.
Third, you and your family prefer a fence-less yard because you don’t want to change the scenery of your backyard.
Many first-time dog owners question using a wireless dog fence, but once they use it, they find themselves wondering how they ever lived without them. It allows your dogs to freely roam around while also protecting them from escaping your yard.
If you have Border Collies, Yellow Labradors, Golden Retrievers, or German Shepherds, you already know how active they are and how much exercise they require. Small dog breeds require exercise too in order to expend some of that pent-up energy. For example, a Crying Chihuahua may act out if she has a lot of pent-up energy and can’t find an outlet to release it.
Many invisible dog fence comes wireless dog collar that features a warning tone, several levels of vibration, and static stimulation so that your dogs know not to cross the boundary you’ve established.
It is important to note that while the wireless fence prevents your furry friends from escaping, intruding animals can come in and out of your yard. Thus, the wireless fence will not protect your dogs from intruding animals. Make sure to always monitor your yard when your canine companions are outside.
So if you’re thinking about getting a dog, make sure to add the wireless dog fence to your list. Once you’ve installed the invisible dog fence, make sure to train your pup first before allowing him to freely roam in your backyard.
How to Install A Wireless Dog Fence?
If this is your first time installing a wireless dog fence, we understand how confusing it could be. Installing it is actually easier than you think. Check out the video below for more instructions!
Which is Better Wired or Wireless Dog Fence?
Deciding whether a wired or wireless dog fence is better really comes down to your preferences, the shape of your yard and whether you prefer to customize your boundary or just install the transmitter.
There are many advantages to installing a wireless dog fence. Installing a dog wireless fence is easy. All you have to do is plug in the transmitter, set the range of the containment circle, plant down the flags provided in the kit, put the wireless collar on your dogs, and train them. A wireless dog fence is also portable. You can bring the transmitter with you, whether you’re camping in the woods or staying at a vacation house. Just plug it in in your new house and you’re all set.
However, there are situations that may challenge a wireless dog fence. If you live on hills or have too many trees around, it may not be a good idea to get an above ground electric dog fence. If there are metal objects within the containment area or you have a metal roof or stucco siding, this could also challenge the wireless dog fence system.
Keep in mind that the wireless dog fence emits a circular coverage so you can’t customize your perimeter. The base of the circular coverage is where you place the transmitter. In this way, you can’t choose to just contain your front yard or back yard only. Both yards will be covered by the transmitter.
Also, most wireless dog fences contain one acre of land or less. If you have a large yard with more than one acre of land, you may want to consider a hybrid wireless fence.
With a wired dog fence, you can fully customize where you want to set the boundary of your fence. It’s very reliable and allows as much coverage as long as you have enough wire for a complete circuit. Additionally, all of the situations that challenge a wireless dog fence will not have any effect on a wired dog fence.
However, you will have to spend time installing the wired fence. You’ll have to figure out the boundaries you want and lay down the in-ground wire. Make sure that the wire begins and ends in the same place. It should be buried about 3 to 6 inches deep.
A tip we’d like to share is to get a wire trencher, which will dig the groove, plant the wire, and then cover it up with dirt too. You should expect to spend about a day of work to install the wired dog fence.
As you can see, getting a wired or wireless dog fence is really up to you. Whether a wired dog fence or a wireless dog fence is best is up to you to decide. Consider the amount of work you’d like to put into it and your yard landscape.
Do Invisible Fence Work?
The wireless dog fences or invisible fences work for most owners with houses that are set back at least 30 feet with minimal slopes or an open plan flat plot. Wireless dog fences are quick and easy to install. There is no boundary wire to lay down so you won’t have to worry about cables getting damaged.
If you have metal, including aluminum siding, metal roofing, and other interference, you may want to go with a hybrid dog fence system. It’s important to read the product description, the instructions, and reviews from current owners before making a purchase.
When setting up the wireless fence, make sure the range limit doesn’t extend to roads or other neighbors’ property. This can be unsafe for your dogs. If the wireless fence is used properly, it can protect your canine companions from escaping. It can also limit your dogs’ access to dangerous areas.
If any of the unit or collar requires batteries, keep watch of the battery indication level. Lastly, if you have a hybrid fence system, make sure to maintain the wires and lay them deep enough into the soil to prevent any damage.
Join us as we present some simple solutions to your escape loving canines.
Key Features to Consider
If you’re looking for a wireless dog fence, but don’t know where to start, don’t fret. We came up with a list of important features to consider when selecting one. Below is a list you’ll want to take note of before purchasing it.
- Perimeter. Perimeter fences are fully wireless. There is no need to bury any wire. All you have to do is choose a base point that you want to place the transmitter. The transmitter, when turned on, will emit a circular area of containment in all directions from the base, thereby creating an invisible fence. The range of containment depends on what you choose for your dogs. For instance, if you set your transmitter to a range of 2,000 feet, there will be an invisible circle of 4,000 feet in diameter with the transmitter at the center as the base. Doing this will create an area of space for your furry friends to roam freely and play within it. This invisible area of effect fence will perfectly contain your dogs.
- Buried wire. Many wireless dog fences include a transmitter that covers a circular containment area range. If you have an oddly-shaped yard or prefer a fence that isn’t circular, then the hybrid wireless fence is a great option. A hybrid wireless fence is when the containment includes both wire and wireless features. Although buried wire is more labor-intensive, it gives you the flexibility to shape the invisible fence wherever way you want. Burying the wire wherever you want lets you control the play zones for your canine companions. For instance, say you want your furry friends to roam freely in the front yard and backyard, but not in the side yards where there’s more car traffic, the buried wire option helps with that. Note that any boundary line you set, you’ll have to dig and bury the wire.
- Containing or repelling? There are two types of fences. The first is a containment wireless dog fence that contains your dogs within the specified area you set. The second is a repelling fence. If you have a garden that you don’t want your dogs getting into because the vegetable or fruits you’re growing is dangerous for your dogs, then you’ll want to get a repelling fence. If you have a repelling fence around the garden, then your dogs can’t enter that garden space. Depending on your preferences, you’ll need to choose whether you want a containment wireless fence or a repelling wireless fence. If you’re creative, you could find transmitters that will cover an area, say your garden, so that it is entirely off-limits to your dogs. By placing the transmitter in that garden, it will discourage your dogs from entering it.
- Customizing your areas? If you’re customizing your yard boundary, make sure to measure before you buy the appropriate range transmitter or gauge wire so that you get enough coverage or wire. If you end up not having enough coverage or wire, don’t fret. Many of the wireless dog fences allow you to add to it at any time.
- Transmitter range. If you’re going with perimeter fences, keep in mind that the transmitter covers a circular area of containment. Sometimes your yard may be a square shape with corners so make sure to cover those corners as well by increasing your transmitter range. If you have buried wire fences, go with a range that covers all of your dogs’ safe zones for roaming.
- Training in combination with containment. To effectively contain your canine companions within the boundary you set, it is also crucial to train them. Find a containment system that will train your dogs as well as protect them. You may want to choose a behavior e-Collar that corresponds with the containment transmitter. The behavior e-collar should connect with both the fence and the handheld remote. This will allow you to manually discourage bad behaviors.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a wireless dog fence?
You’ll notice that the term “wireless dog fence” is used interchangeably with “invisible fence.” That’s because a wireless dog fence does not require any wire. It only needs a transmitter for circular containment coverage. This makes it appear like there is an invisible fence. Your dogs aren’t connected to anything and you won’t see the fence, but they will know not to cross the boundary you set. Make sure to train your dogs once the wireless dog fence is set up and ready to use.
Compared to a wireless dog fence, a traditional “wired” fence is when the dog owner lays down a physical in-ground wire to contain their canines.
How Does Invisible Fence Work?
Both the wireless and wired dog fence comes with a receiver that is attached to the dog’s collar. So although you won’t see a physical fence, the dogs’ collar will recognize the boundary you set for them. The wireless collar will detect the boundary when your dogs get near it. Through warning tones, vibrations, or stimulations, the collar discourages them from crossing the boundary. You can choose whichever modes you’d prefer to discourage your furry friends from crossing the boundary.
What’s the difference between a wireless dog fence and a hybrid dog fence?
The difference between a wireless dog fence and a hybrid dog fence is that a wireless fence does not require any wire. It only requires a transmitter and a wireless dog collar. A hybrid fence uses a combination of in-ground wire and wireless retrievers that’s attached to the dog’s collar.
The wireless dog fence uses a transmitter to set the boundaries. The transmitter emits a circular coverage of containment around it. You’re not able to define specific limits or customize the shape of your boundary.
However, a hybrid dog fence allows for full customization. You can choose the boundary where you want to bury the in-ground wire and customize the shape. In both types of dog fences, the dogs wear a wireless collar.
Are wireless dog fences safe?
If wireless dog fences are installed and used properly, yes, they are safe for dogs. Using a wireless dog fence provides safety and prevents your canine companions from escaping into the streets or road.
Make sure to properly set up the limitation range where your dogs can go and take the time to train them to respond to the stimulus. Once you’ve done both of these things, you can let them roam around in the yard without having to worry constantly.
If your pups are new to this, it may take a few training sessions for them to learn. Many canine owners have pointed out that their pups have crossed the boundary the first few times. However, dogs are smart and they will learn not to do so after a few training sessions. If you have stubborn dogs, make sure they are fully trained to use them. Be patient and work with him to learn it.
The good news is that many wireless collars have an auto shut-off after so long of a continuous stimulus. The stimulus from the wireless collar teaches your dogs not to cross the boundary. It is a way to correct their behavior and not to hurt them.
How Much Does Invisible Fence Cost?
Invisible fences for dogs will average around $200 and $3,000. How much an invisible fence cost depends on several factors including the size of your yard, the terrain type of your property, how many dogs you have, and whether you’re hiring a professional to install the invisible dog fence for you.
It also depends on whether you’re getting a portable wireless dog fence, an underground electric dog fence, or a hybrid dog fence system.
Other Wireless Dog Fences We Reviewed
We’ve also looked at 3 additional wireless dog fences. Although they didn’t make it to our top 5 best wireless dog fences list, they’re the best of the thousands of dog fences out there. Like the top 5 dog fences above, we’ll include the product information and customers’ reviews so you can compare and find the best one for you and your dogs.
- Wireless Dog Fence For Large Acreage
- Wireless Dog Fences For Large Dogs
- Wireless Dog Fence For Small Dogs
Wireless Dog Fence For Large Acreage
Manufactured in the USA, the electronic dog door comes with a water-resistant collar receiver and 20 gauge high tensile boundary wire.
Covering up to 6 acres, the Second Generation 500′ Standard Grade Fence Kit by Extreme Dog Fence is perfect if you have a large acreage yard. The hybrid dog fence comes with a waterproof and submersible dog collar receiver of up to 10 feet deep. This way your dogs can swim with the collar on and it will still remain fully functional.
Best of all, the in-ground hybrid dog fence comes with a one year warranty. Be sure to register the fence so that you can receive a 5-year warranty instead of just one.
Second Generation 500′ Standard Grade Fence Kit by Extreme Dog Fence Key Features:
- Available in 1000 feet, 1500 feet, and 2000 feet standard grade fence
- Hybrid fence system comes in 5 options: 1 Dog System, 2 Dog System, 3 Dog System, 4 Dog System, and 5 Dog System
- Standard fence kit includes the following:
- 20 gauge high tensile boundary wire with a heavy protective jacket
- Digital transmitter
- Collar receiver(s) with battery
- Training flags
- Splice kits
- Includes 1-year warranty, register the fence for a 5-year warranty
- Manufactured in the USA
What customers are saying:
✅ Many owners said they are extremely happy with the dog fence and now let their furry friends out for about 4 to 5 hours a day unattended. They loved seeing their dogs sunbathe in the yard and chase squirrels and knowing not to cross the boundary line.
✅ Some owners said they were nervous and a bit worried about training their dogs to use the hybrid dog fence and made several reassurance calls to the manufacturer. They were happy that the manufacturer was both patient and understanding and gave them great advice and instructions on how to train their dogs with the dog fence.
✅ A lot of owners noted that customer service was great because they were knowledgeable and provided outstanding support. Best of all, the phone support is also open 7 days a week.
✅ Dog owners love this kit because the package includes a thicker wire and lightning protector, the collar retriever is very adjustable, and it came with twisted wire, which is very convenient.
❌ Since this is a hybrid in-ground wire dog fence, you will need to lay the wire. Many owners said that although it was time-consuming, they were ecstatic with the end results.
Wireless Dog Fences For Large Dogs
Great for large yards and complicated spaces, the dual-zone pet containment system provides you peace of mind that your dogs are safe when they’re outdoor.
The Pet Control HQ Wireless Dog Fence Perimeter with Wireless Collar Kit & Remote is great for those with a large yard of up to 10 acres, has a complicated yard design, and have large dogs. The hybrid dog fence is a combination of a wireless dog training system with a choice for above or below ground wired design.
It is easy to set up. The wireless kit contains 492 feet of 20 gauge above-ground or underground dog fence wire. The durability of the wire stands up to any weather. The underground dog fence wire allows you to fully customize the shape of your dogs’ fence.
If your dogs have bad behaviors such as digging, chasing cars, hurting chickens, or running into the neighbors’ yard, the 2-in-1 dog fence system will stop these bad behaviors.
- Two options available:
- 1 Collar with Remote
- 2 Collars with Remote depending if you have one or two dogs
- Great for stubborn dogs
- Electric shock collar has levels 1 to 10 to get your dogs’ attention and stop stubborn behaviors
- Large dog shock collar features an 8 second shut down to stop shock for your dogs’ safety
- Collar has up to 12 hours of battery life, giving you 3 to 7 days of containment training
- Waterproof and adjustable collar for dogs with 8 to 27-inch neck size
- Rapid rechargeable battery station charges batteries in 2 – 3 hours
- Great for large and small dogs from 11 to 154 pounds
What customers are saying:
✅ Owners noted that this fence system gave their dogs the ability to roam around freely while also keeping their whole family happy. Their dogs are much more obedient.
✅ Many owners said this product is easy to use and the beep and vibration to correct their dogs’ behavior works wonder.
✅ Both the dogs and the dog owners are much happier now with the 2-in-1 dog fence.
✅ A lot of owners said the customer service is great.
❌ A few customers noticed that their dogs’ collars would beep or vibrate randomly and found out the neighbor was using the same collar and frequency. Since learning that, they re-programmed their dogs’ collars with a new frequency and the random beeping and vibrating stopped.
Wireless Fence for Small Dogs
Havahart SS-750RPX AC-Powered 1-Mile Range Electric Fence Kit for Small Dogs
The Havahart SS-750RPX AC-Powered 1-Mile Range Electric Fence Kit for Small Dogs is the perfect solution if you want to keep your dogs within the contained space while keeping unwanted critters out. The electric fence covers a one-mile range in ideal conditions. Best of all, the fence energizer has a 1-year warranty.
Havahart SS-750RPX AC-Powered 1-Mile Range Electric Fence Kit for Small Dogs Key Features:
- Electric fence for small dog is recommended for dogs over 15 pounds and older than 6 months old
- Electric fence kit includes the following:
- An energizer
- 10-23 PVC fence poles
- 1-22 ground rod
- 100 feet of aluminum
- 50 cotter pins for fastening wire
- 1 ground clamp
- 2 extra fuses
What customers are saying:
✅ Many owners highly recommend the electrical fencing for dogs because it deters them from digging out or jumping the fence.
✅ For example, owners noted that before they put up the electric pet fence, their dogs kept digging out under their chain-link fence and roaming the neighborhood or jumping the fence. Once they put up the electric fence, all of that stopped.
✅ A lot of owners love the electric fence for dogs because it corrects their dogs’ aggressive behavior problems such as charging towards the fence when they see someone walks by their yard. The owners didn’t like this behavior especially when it’s children walking by. Since getting the electric fence for small dogs, they just stand far off and glare without aggressively charging towards the fence.
✅ Easy to install, use and modify.
❌ A few customers said the wire was very hard to unwind and tangled a lot.
Lastly, we didn’t forget to include more information and customers’ reviews on the wire trencher we recommended above.
If you’re installing a wired dog fence, the wire trencher helps to easily dig the groove, plant the wire, and then cover it up with dirt.
If you have a hybrid dog fence that requires in-ground wire installation, using a BLACK+DECKER LE750 12 Amp 2-in-1 Landscape Edger and Wire Trencher gets the job done easily and quickly. The 12-Amp high-torque motor tackles through tough overgrowth and creates a clean-looking trench for the wire.
The 2-in-1 edger and trencher has three-position blade depth adjustments. This allows you to control the depth of the cut. It converts from an edger to a landscape trencher so you can use it for other purposes like installing outdoor lighting.
BLACK+DECKER LE750 12 Amp 2-in-1 Landscape Edger and Wire Trencher Key Features:
- Includes 1 LE750 Lawn Edger and built-in cord retention to keep extension cord secure
- Flexible handle so you can use it no matter if you’re right or left handed
What customers are saying:
✅ Many owners said the edger and wire trencher is a powerful tool that they feel comfortable using. They love the nice trimmed edges that this machine creates.
✅ A lot of owners said they are intimidated by the gas-powered edgers and love that this machine does not require gas. The blade replacement is fairly cheap, making it a cost effective investment.
✅ Overall, it’s a great tool that they use when they are mowing their lawn as well.
❌ A few customers noted that the edger and wire trencher is not battery operated and if there was a battery-powered option, they would buy that in a heart-beat.
❌ One customer pointed out that the handle is relatively low, however, it works perfectly without hitches. It is important to note that many owners did note down that the model has a height adjustment on the guard.
I’m a pet lover who has years of pet sitting and grooming experience. I thought it would be a great idea to share my experience with all pet owners so they can also keep their canine companions healthy, happy, and clean!